5 Proven ways to remove excess salt from over-salted foods

I always had this problem of adding too much salt to my foods. I have learned a few effective tips which helped me to remove excess salt from cooked foods.

1. Vinegar dissolves salt
Salt is a solute whereas vinegar is a solvent. So the excess salt will dissolve well in the vinegar. Based on the quantity of your food, try adding one or two teaspoons of vinegar to it. Vinegar also enhances the flavors in your foods.

2. Milk dilutes salt
Milk can dilute the salt in your foods. Milk also adds some thickness and taste to your food. You can also use different types of milk like buttermilk, coconut milk etc.

3. Boiled potatoes absorb excess salt
Try adding few slices of boiled potato into your dish to absorb some salt. It is effective for liquid foods like soups. Leave the potatoes inside the soup to let the diffusion happen. Potatoes will absorb the salt until the salt level in the rest of the soup equals the salt level in the potato. Then you can remove those potatoes.

4. Wheat flour can remove excess salt
Wheat flour has salt absorbing abilities too. Make small balls of wheat flour and add it to your dish. Leave them in the dish for 10 to 15 minutes to absorb the salt and take them out later.

5. Lemon Juice as a Replacement for Salt
Lemon juice is acidic and it will react with the salt in your food. Try adding few teaspoons of lemon juice to your foods. It can reduce the saltiness to an extent. It also adds a flavor a tangy flavour and a good aroma to your food. Next time you cook, try replacing salt with lemon juice. This way you can reduce your sodium intake levels.

Less is more!
Keep in mind, adding too much salt is not always good for your health. You can always add salt after cooking if you need to. Use a better salt pot that can sprinkle the salt evenly over your food. Or use your fingers to sprinkle the salt evenly. This will prevent yourself from adding too much salt to your foods.